The Worth of a Soul


The “more popular” and rich people of the Zoramites cast out the poor for believing Alma and Amulek’s words. The poor were kindly taken in by the people of Jershon- the people of Ammon. When the rich Zoramites found out, they were mad, and sent threats over to the people of Ammon, REALLY wanting THEM to cast out the poor as well.

But they didn’t listen.

In fact, they did not even fear these threats. They not only received these “outcasts” in their land, but they nourished them, clothed them, provided places for them to live, and administered to them.

How beautiful is that! It makes me want to be better! Do I “receive” those who are cast out? Do I minister to them without fearing the repercussions? What sacrifices do I make for the poor?

I could do better. A lot better.

Amulek’s words are powerful and to the point, “Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.

“And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith.

“Therefore, if ye do not remember to be charitable, ye are as dross, which the refiners do cast out, (it being of no worth) and is trodden under foot of men.” Alma 35:27-29

DO NOT SUPPOSE THAT THIS IS ALL (just praying for myself and others- I need to act!!) IF YE TURN AWAY THE NEEDY... (how many around us are needy? My mind goes to the current issues of illness, unemployment, racism, human trafficking) YOUR PRAYER IS VAIN... (yikes) AVAILETH NOTHING...(ouch) YE ARE AS HYPOCRITES, AS DROSS... (well that gets me right in the gut)

What am I doing? How can I be an instrument in God’s hands? Charity is the pure love of Christ. I need to open my eyes and believe my small efforts do matter. The worth of a soul is great in the sight of God.

Comments