My Mother Knew


My mom began running marathons when I was 16. I thought she was a little crazy. She is the most dedicated, consistent, motivated, optimistic person I know!

Well, her positive energy was contagious and 4 years later I started running with her. I trained for my first marathon, my mom with me every step of the way! It was amazing to see what I was capable of. I would have NEVER believed I could be a runner, let alone run marathons, if my mom hadn’t believed in me.

Over the next few years we ran some marathons together, but she would proceed to run 24 marathons!!! Between having a bunch of babies, half marathons became more my thing!

Two years ago she signed up for her 25th and final marathon. She always wanted to make it to 25! And although I hadn’t run a full marathon in years, I signed up too!

I went into the race feeling pretty good! I even had hopes I could PR! Well, a nice dose of humility was in store for me. The marathon went horribly! It was a nightmare that wouldn’t end. I was SO down. I wondered if I’d even finish!

Well, a big reason I didn't give up was because I knew my mom was behind me! I had taken off at the beginning, ready for my PR... and now I wanted to lay at the side of the road like roadkill. I needed her! I knew she would catch up, and I KNEW she would get me to the finish. I could do it with her. That thought was everything to me!

At mile 21, my mom caught up with me. And for the last 5 miles she cheered me on, gave me her ABC gum for my dry mouth (yup), and told me we were going to finish this thing!

And we did.

Oh, I cried! But not because I was in pain, or cause my time was WAY worse than expected, but because I finished! With my mom! Finishing with her was everything. I’d signed up for my FIRST marathon because of her, trusting her that I could do it. And I signed up for her LAST marathon because of her, and trusted her to get me to the finish.

“...We do not doubt our mothers knew it.” Alma 56:48

Yes, it was just a race. It was not life or death. But she didn’t just teach me about running.

She taught me to be a woman of faith!

To “trust in God continually.”

To love the gospel.

To be strong.

I am who I am because of her.

Comments