Do Not Forget the Things You Once Knew


I sat down at the piano the other day.  I tried to play songs I once knew by heart, and I couldn't quite figure it out. 

The thing is, my fingers KNEW it.  They instinctively grabbed for the keys, but one little note would throw me off. And I'm like- you KNEW this, SO WELL at one point.  But when you don't practice... ya get a little rusty.

Whenever I sit and play music, I remember why I loved it so much.  I remember how good I once was. It's like a part of my soul is awakened that I’d neglected, nearly forgotten.

But if I don't sit and play once in awhile, it quietly starts slipping away.

Those songs will always be part of my soul, my memory, because I spent so much of my life in front of a piano, playing with my heart.  It doesn't all get erased.  It can't.  It may be dormant, but it is there.  Etched in my very foundation.

We all forget things sometimes.

It takes just a few notes to stir the memories.  The emotion.  The desire.

With practice it can return, until the harmonies all come together and play out like it should.  It's a shame to forget.  It's a waste to forget.

To my children, I plead,

do not forget.

Do not forget the things of your childhood, the things of the present that will soon be the past.

Do not forget the prayers, the lessons, the feelings, the love.

Do not forget the earnest words I speak of God.

Do not forget the earnest words your own lips speak of God.

Do not forget the real feelings in your heart.

Do not forget the bond of family.

Do not forget your faith.

You are full of light! I as your mother get to witness it! I know you hear and I know you feel and I know your sincere desire for goodness, your humility, hope, and sweet faith. I see it every day.

I know you may not choose the path I hoped for.  I know the things of your childhood may fade away and seemingly disappear. Maybe you’ll never really remember my efforts teaching you the gospel of Jesus Christ.

But I must do my part.  My calling as Mother is divine.  I must do what I can. Love unconditionally- always. Instill in you who you truly are. Show you the covenant path.

I do not know the future, but may I plead now...

Do not forget the melody.

Comments