Perspective & Truth


A few years ago while visiting San Antonio we went to see the temple. As we drove into the parking lot, we gave the kids a simple little talk about the importance of the temple. Suddenly I felt a distinct rush of emotion, of reassurance, of comfort, of peace, of truth. I couldn't hold back the tears. This is often the way the spirit confirms truth to me, and I've learned to recognize it. When I am in the right state of mind, I get these flashes of complete light and understanding. Everything makes sense. It is a powerful manifestation to me saying this is true. It is these moments that I try to write down. And I did.

It's so easy to forget. It's so easy to look back and rationalize our feelings and think maybe we made them up, that maybe the spirit was just our own brain, a psychological fabrication to make us feel better. But gosh, those moments when I feel the witness of the Holy Ghost... it is as real as my hand in front of my face. I can't deny it. It's hard to explain, in the same way it's hard to explain the love of a mother. It's intense. It's transcendent. It's real.

And just like being a mother, it's easy to go through the motions of my beliefs, without truly "getting it." And I can totally see why it's easy to become distanced, skeptical, critical... because it can be hard. And not always joyful. And the happiness we are promised can be difficult to see. We get impatient. We want everything right now. We do not understand the 2nd act of this 3-act play. And the haze, the static, the voices of the world creep in and we lose sight of what's important. Of the purpose behind it all.

But just as with being mom, if you look, oh, you will see. You will find the joy, the clarity, the reasons! You will remember. And know it is worth it! That the value not only lies in the here and now, but in the eternities. And these are just glimpses of the kind of happiness that is possible after this life. I believe that! If only we knew what was to come! But we can have some of that now, if we look for it. It takes effort to seek it. It takes sacrifice to give your heart over to God. I have a long way to go. But I am grateful for moments of perspective and truth.

Comments