Capture the Flag


 When Capture the Flag Makes You Cry: 

Last night I sat on our front steps and watched the kids play Capture the Flag with the neighborhood and I felt myself get emotional. What is the deal! 

The deal is moving here was not planned. MOVING was, yes. For a couple years my husband and I both felt promptings and knew in our hearts a change was coming. We just thought that change was somewhere else. In fact, we’d accepted a tentative offer somewhere else- overseas. Then this offer came, and as much as I pushed back at first (it wasn’t the PLAN!) it totally felt right. Everything about it. And here we are living in a place that was never on our radar, ever. The timing of everything is so interesting & we look back and know God had a hand.

In the first couple months while I comforted sad, homesick children, I often asked myself, WHAT have we done? The kids would ask why we moved, and our best answer was, “We just felt like we needed to.” Which isn’t satisfying for a hurting child to hear! And I’d wonder if we ruined their lives, haha. But even then, holding confused crying kids, I KNEW this is where we’re supposed to be. I’d try and entertain the idea of staying where we were, because we LOVED and THRIVED where we were! But I’d get an IMMEDIATE feeling in my gut, NO. I couldn’t picture it at all. We weren’t meant to stay in Utah.

So here we are. And while the kids have had their ups and downs, my husband and I have felt peace the entire time! Even after the world went crazy a few weeks in (thanks 2020), it feels like God picked us up and placed us right here, in this ward, in this neighborhood, in this school district, in this house. And while we miss all those people we love in UT, seeing the kids not just surviving but beginning to thrive here makes me cry.

We still have a PLAN. With overseas as part of that plan. But the future is not as clear as it used to be. We have lots of faith & prayer ahead, but know we’re right where we’re supposed to be. And that’s good enough for now. Things will work out & God will provide. I am content.

“Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.” 3 Ne. 13:34

Comments