Broken


A few years ago my then 5-year-old was jumping on our brand new trampoline when suddenly I heard shrieking, “I BWOKE MY ARM!” My heart froze and I ran, really scared at what I’d see. What I saw left NO doubt- his arm was definitely broken!

Gently placing his floppy arm onto a pillow while he cried in pain & terror, we raced to an urgent care, who told us to head directly to the hospital cause he was gonna need surgery! He’d broken it just above his elbow ALL the way across. About the worst arm break you could get. 

After a lot of screaming, crying, bruising, swelling, an artery spasm, surgery with 3 pins put in, my brave boy was on the mend.

The day finally came to get his cast off and I had my doubts. I’ve never broken a bone myself, so it seemed IMPOSSIBLE that his arm could go from that grotesque, limp thing I saw to a fully functional arm. 

And yet- before my eyes was his healed arm! I winced as he moved it around, sure something would snap! But no- the bone had fused back together. It went completely back to normal.

Christ’s death brought three hours of quaking, burning, sinking, lightning, tempests.

“The whole face of the land was changed...broken...deformed.” 3 Ne 8

Three days of agony, fear, and utter darkness.

“And there could be no light.”

Then, a voice. The voice of Hope. 

In literally the darkest hour, the Light of the world offered compassion & healing.

"Will ye now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?

“Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive”

"I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin."

Morning came.

The “darkness dispersed.” (10:9)

"And the earth did cleave together again, that it stood.” (10)

I can’t help but think,

If the broken fragments of the earth can cleave together again, so can we.

Our mourning will be turned to joy because of Him. 

We will be made whole because of Him.

We will stand again because of Him.

“He makes it possible for all things that have been broken in our lives to be mended.” Elder Gonzales

All things. Broken bodies... & broken hearts, souls, spirits.

Comments