On Being Articulate




I’ve always been awful at thinking on my feet. Ask me a difficult question or get in a debate with me and I’ll be like “Uhhh,” but if you give me time to write it down, I could give you a decent answer. I wish I were better at finding words in the moment!

When Samuel was cast out of the city, the Lord told him to go back, “and prophesy unto the people whatsoever things should come into his heart.”

So he climbed the WALL and “cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart...

“Behold, I, Samuel, a Lamanite, do speak the words of the Lord which he doth put into my heart”

What obedience! What trust! What courage! He knew the Lord would put words in his heart. He just had to speak them.

“Open your mouths and they shall be filled” D&C 33

Sis. Eubanks once talked about using “your voice and your power to articulate what you know and feel.” It resonated with me a LOT.

So did Pres. Nelson’s words, “As a righteous, endowed Latter-day Saint woman, you speak and teach with power and authority from God...we need your voice teaching the doctrine of Christ.”

And THEN I read this by Elder Uchtdorf, “There are times when the Lord reveals to us things that are intended only for us. Nevertheless, in many, many cases He entrusts a testimony of the truth to those who will share it with others... The Lord expects the members of His Church to 'open [their mouths] at all times, declaring [His] gospel with the sound of rejoicing.”

I couldn’t deny the impressions I’d been feeling for awhile; to better use my voice for good.

I haven’t scaled any walls or preached in the streets yet. But I started this account.

I’m turning abstract feelings & insights into solid words,

Praying to hear what He wants ME to hear,

Praying He will help me find words to express what’s in my heart.

I’m practicing being “articulate.”

IT’S HARD.

And I ask myself, WHO AM I to think I have anything to say? I feel inadequate and intimidated. But my intent is sincere.

I am growing, stretching & learning. It’s been a beautiful thing. So I’ll keep trying to:

Seek

Ponder

Articulate

Remember

Rejoice

In Him

Comments