Tarry A Little Longer


He tarried longer. He had important things to do- see the Father, visit the lost tribes of Israel... and He had already given so much. But he saw their tears, and sensed their longing for Him to stay. So He did.

He was filled with compassion. He healed the sick and afflicted, every one. He blessed each child. And He knelt upon the ground with them and prayed for them.

“And no tongue can speak, neither can there be written by any man, neither can the hearts of men conceive so great and marvelous things as we both saw and heard Jesus speak; and no one can conceive of the joy which filled our souls at the time we heard him pray for us unto the Father." (3 Ne. 17:15-17)

They heard Him pray FOR THEM. 

I can’t imagine. It could not even be written!

So great was their joy, "they were overcome." (18)

Last night I was so frustrated with my 10-year-old. She was angry and moody. Girl’s got some pre-teen hormones raging and right before bedtime is when her worries & emotions all come to a head. Last night I just couldn't handle it. I told her to chill, that I don’t have time for this, that we’ve already talked about this, that she needs sleep, and to just go to bed. I had no patience for her "wallowing.” I had no compassion.

I did not tarry.  

With tears in her eyes, she stomped up the stairs. 

A few minutes later, I wearily headed upstairs as well. And through the open door of my bedroom, I came upon a scene so tender it stopped me in my tracks. I saw my daughter wrapped in the arms of my husband. His eyes were closed, and through my daughter's soft crying, I heard him pray for her, the sweetest, most beautiful, specific, sincere prayer. I was struck with Humility. 

While I’d been indifferent and abrupt with my struggling daughter, my husband showed compassion. He listened to her. He prayed for her. That good, good man tarried with her.

I hugged my girl tight after his prayer. I promised myself I would be better. I would tarry a little longer.

“Remember that some of the greatest needs may be those right in front of you... Begin where you are, love them as they are...” -Bonnie L. Oscarson “The Needs Before Us”

Comments