Let Your Light Shine


A fellow soccer mom struck up a conversation with me the other day. I told her we moved here right before the shut down, and she asked with concern, “Oh wow, so do ya’ll have a good church to go to? You need a good faith family in times like these!”

For a second I was tempted to say yes, and leave it at that. But I decided to go for it, “Yes, we do! We are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and it was so nice to have a faith family after the move!” 

My heart rate went up a bit. What does she think? Is she gonna ask me about a gold Bible? About my sister wives? Does she know what a “Mormon” is? I’m HOW old, and yet explaining my religion is all new to me?!

She said she was glad & that she also has a really good church family in her non-denominational faith. And that was it.

Whew! I did it! I boldly declared my religion and nobody attacked me! (Yet)

Eight months ago we left our Utah “bubble,” so they say, and ventured out to the Midwest. I am 100% falling in LOVE with this place, but some of it is definitely outside my comfort zone! Our ward boundaries seem SO spread far and wide, the kids are the only members in their school classes, the neighbor kids don’t understand why we don’t play on Sundays, and I got invited to my first ever wine social, which I went to! With my bottle of soda. 👍 I was ready to explain why I didn’t drink, but nobody even asked why. But I was ready! 

One of the reasons we moved was to experience something else. To show the kids the world is a little bit bigger place. To let them see there are good people everywhere, even if they’re different. Sure, it’s not like we’re in some exotic place... but it’s different enough.

Enough to make me live my faith a little more intentionally.

I’m learning to stand out a bit more.

I have a long, LONG way to go, & wish I were a bolder person, but I’m trying, in a small way, to “let [my] light so shine before this people” 3 Ne. 12:16

“We can intentionally shine our light so others may see... Such attempts may require us to step out of our comfort zone, but we can be assured that the Lord will help our light shine.” -Bonnie H. Cordon

“I am the light which ye shall hold up.” (3 Ne.18:24)

Comments