What Greater Witness


Today I found myself engrossed in a book that couldn’t decide if it was a drama, comedy, self help, romance, or horror. 

It was one of my high school journals. 😂 

What could possibly bring me to relive the JOYS of adolescence?

D&C 6:22-23.

Let me explain.

There was this boy. I liked him. A LOT. He asked me out! Then he kissed me. 

Wanna know my first thought? “MISTAKE.”😬

But I REALLY liked him!

So I tried to ignore those feelings.

Soon I wrote, “This is HARD for me to admit. But ever since I’ve been going out with [this guy], everything is going downhill. And this is even HARDER to admit- everything about it feels WRONG. Do you think my instincts are trying to tell me something? I keep rationalizing it! But from the beginning this inner instinct told me nothing good can come out of this.”

Juxtaposed with the many entries like this (dating a guy with 47 red flags) are many what I think are pretty profound spiritual entries from my teenage self. You see, I was going through somewhat of a faith crisis- wondering what I really believed. It’s fascinating to read- one day so thoughtful & deep, the next all melodramatic about boys. But as I read, I’m pulling for that girl! Make the right choice! You know what you have to do! I boo as she keeps going back to this guy, but cheer as she stands her ground on her standards again & again. I cry as she recognizes the spirit & what she really wants in her life:

“I love this church! I do. Everything about it is so right. I cannot deny my inner soul, the Spirit, & what my heart feels. I keep thinking about the [guy] situation. I could feel the wrongness. It was so clear! Yet I ignored it. I’m grateful I see! It’s over. When I’m caught up in the spirit like this I forget all my doubts, they dissolve. How great my life would be if I could live every moment like this. Trust & remember this Spirit!”

And I’d written right there D&C 6:22-23.

I referred to those verses repeatedly! When I needed to remember those nights I cried unto God! When I needed reassurance he DID speak peace to my mind! 

Luckily that girl’s story ended well. Because she trusted her instincts. 

She still does.

“What greater witness can you have than from God?”

Comments