Remember, This Is Your Gift


There are two places in my patriarchal blessing where it says, “I bless you with the gift of...”

And although it’s been 22 years since that blessing, I have yet to understand either of those named gifts. I am aware of other spiritual gifts I have, but wonder why the two gifts SPECIFICALLY mentioned TO ME are two I have yet to comprehend how they apply in my life.

So as I read these words from God to Oliver,

“Therefore this is thy gift; apply unto it” (D&C 8:4), 

I think of myself. How do I apply my gifts? What am I supposed to be doing?

When Oliver desired the gift of translation, the Lord bestowed it. And while explaining to him the gifts of revelation & translation, He said “no power shall be able to take it away” (8), but that “without faith you can do nothing.” (10) “Whatsoever you shall ask me... you shall have knowledge concerning it... that you may know the mysteries of God” (9, 11)

Well, Oliver tried translating & failed.

“You supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me... You must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right.” (9:8) 

“It is not expedient that you should translate now... you feared, and the time is past” (11)

Though he was a wonderful scribe, I can’t find anything about Oliver ever trying to translate again. I don’t know what held him back.

I do know he was not condemned for his failure (18), and by failing at the gift of translation, he learned a great deal about the gift of revelation.

I have some studying & asking to do. Gifts come through desire & seeking, through faith & obedience, through His will & timing. They must be cultivated & developed.

Many gifts are “not visible to the natural vision or understanding of man” and it “requires time & circumstances to call these gifts into operation” -Joseph Smith

Am I preparing for the time & circumstance of my spiritual gifts? HAVE they been manifest in my life, just in different ways than expected? Am I able to recognize other gifts & apply them? Do I have faith my gifts can help me do “marvelous works... of God”? (8:8)

It’s not enough to receive a gift- we must use it, in the way God intends, to bless His children.

Comments