What’s Your Story Gonna Be?


Anyone else’s head spinning after reading 28 generations of history crammed into Ether 7-11?

There’s rebellion, murder, war, famine, poisonous serpents, secret combinations (that dang daughter of Jared!) whoredoms, dysfunctional families (makes your family look pretty good, eh?), captivity & more captivity (brother of Jared called it!)

There’s also peace, prosperity, humility, repentance, mercy, courageous rescues (sons of Shule🙌🏼), hard work & industry, rejoicing, righteousness.

Plus a whole lot of childbearing in really old age (tell me you didn’t notice this). 😆

I mean, it’d make a great mini-series.

There’s SO much info that Moroni has to pick just a FEW things to say about each major character. Some only get one line!  Things like “he did not reign in righteousness” or “he did that which was good in the sight of the Lord.”

It got me thinking- when all is said and done, if my whole life had to be summarized, what would be MY one line?

How would I go down in the chapters of history? As people scan through my list of generations, how will my life be remembered?

(Hopefully not as “The mom who yelled at her kids too much” 😬)

When my son was little he came home with a birthday invitation. He said his friend had to give it to him at school because he didn’t know where we lived. So my cute son made sure to tell his friend, “Oh, I live in the house with the broken blinds.” 😂 

No address needed! We were The House With The Broken Blinds!

Yes, we HAD gotten lazy about fixing blinds ONLY cause the kids kept breaking them! (They’re really strong 🤷‍♀️) But after he told me that, it didn’t take long for us to replace those blinds...

I would NOT be known as the house with the broken blinds! 😆

Guess what. We don’t HAVE to be known as the wicked king in our story... or any current negative label! We are still IN our story. 

If our one sentence isn’t what we want it to be at this point, we get to change it. We have our whole lives to change it. We can edit & re-edit along the way. We can choose the path we take, the legacy we leave.

Because of Him.

I’m grateful for the ability to change my story.

“Enduring to the end means changing to the end.” -Becky Craven

Comments

  1. Erica, that is very powerful! Thanks for sharing your spiritual insights.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment