Follow the Prophet


When Ether warned Coriantumr & his people to repent and prophesied very specific things that would happen if he didn’t, I can only imagine what Coriantumr thought. Things are fine! I’m the king! I’m skilled in the art of war & cunning in the ways of the world! (Eth. 13:16) Why would I need God? In fact, I’m gonna try to kill you for even suggesting it! (22)

And then he battled Shared, 

then battled Gilead, 

then lost the throne, 

then battled Lib, 

then battled Shiz aka Worst Guy Ever,

obtained awful wounds,

nearly died, 

and witnessed the deaths of his people, 2 million men, women, and children.

It was then he realized that everything Ether prophesied YEARS earlier was coming to pass.

And ONLY then, in the middle of this absolute nightmare, Coriantumr “began to remember the words which Ether had spoken unto him.” (15:1) 

ONLY then, after SO much blood & carnage, he “began to sorrow in his heart” (2) & “began to repent of the evil which he had done” (3)

Why only then! Why couldn’t he have just listened to Ether in the beginning? The pain that could have been avoided! It’s such a sad tale! Coriantumr’s “soul mourned and refused to be comforted.” (3) 

My heart softens for him.

He tries to fix it. He twice offers up his kingdom to Shiz to spare the remainder of his people.

But the damage was done. The battle raged on. “Satan had full power over the hearts of the people” (19)

The whole civilization fell. Just as Ether told him.

I can’t imagine Ether in his cave writing about this thinking “Well, I told him so!” No. I’m sure his heart broke! Just like every other prophet’s hearts whose words are rejected. Who can forget Mormon’s cries, “O ye fair ones!”

When we hear the words of the prophet to us, do we listen & obey? Or do we say, why would I do that? Everything’s fine! What right does he have to tell me that? I’m waaaay more enlightened than HE is!

Take it from Coriantumr. Listen while you can. Maybe President Nelson knows more. Maybe he DOES know the way.

In fact, I guarantee it.

“I caution you to not disregard the counsel of the [prophet]. He has spoken to you plainly. Study his words and strive to obey them. They are true and come from God.”

-Elder Ballard

Comments

  1. This is so enlightening. Your children are so blessed to have you for a mother and to have the scriptures explained so well to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so sweet! All of my thoughts take LOTS of thinking that’s for sure... if that makes sense! It’s kind of embarrassing how long it takes to put thoughts together 😉

      Delete
    2. That makes total sense! That's why I like writing because it gives me a chance to really think about it and make it sound right. If I just try and say it it comes out all jumbled and doesn't make sense!

      Delete

Post a Comment