Retain in Remembrance the Greatness of God


Every time I log onto Family Search, there is a thirst that comes over me. A thirst for more. I want to know everything about everyone. The Spirit envelopes me. I cry when I look at pictures, I am moved when I read documents, interviews, life sketches. I’m in awe thinking of their handcarts across the plains, footprints of blood in the snow, starvation. I think of others during the horrors of war, seeing their homes bombed, coming by boat to this country. I see their faith! How did they keep it? I have it because of them!

I am grateful for where I come from.

When the brother of Jared’s son, Orihah, became king (cause no one else would!), it says the people began to get rich. (Eth. 6:28) 

OH NO! Pride cycle! 

But “Orihah did walk humbly before the Lord, and did remember how great things the Lord had done for his father, and also taught his people how great things the Lord had done for their fathers.” (30)

What a pleasant surprise!

He didn’t let the blessings of his fathers fade away. 

In the rapid-fire list of generations and kings mentioned in the next bit, two other kings are also mentioned for their righteousness because they remembered how good God was to their fathers!

Shule “remembered the great things that the Lord had done for his fathers in bringing them across the great deep into the promised land; wherefore he did execute judgment in righteousness all his days” (7:27)

Shez “did build up a righteous kingdom; for he remembered what the Lord had done in bringing Jared and his brother across the deep” (10:2)

It is so important to remember! 

This is one of the purposes of the Book of Mormon, right in the title page! “...to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers”

Moroni also speaks of this in his very last words! “Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things... that ye would remember how ​​​merciful​ the Lord hath been unto the children of men” (Mor. 10:3)

Remembering reassures us of God’s promises! He delivered them; He can deliver us.

And it reminds us: OUR choices & OUR stories affect generations.

“Always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God” (Mos. 4:11)

Comments