Dispute Not Because Ye See Not


Total darkness. My kids had never felt such suffocating, utter darkness before. It was the first thing they talked about when we got out of the cave...

We visited some caverns a couple days ago. It was amazing; stalactites, stalagmites, crystals, columns!

During the tour, our guide asked us if we wanted to know what it was like in there without light. And with a single switch, he cast us into blackness.

“Whoa!” I heard my kids exclaim. 

It is such a strange feeling waiting for eyes to adjust that will never adjust. I’m not claustrophobic, but after a few seconds even I felt my heart rate go up. He told us to wave our hands in front of our faces. Nothing! It’s an eerie, helpless feeling. He turned the lights back on, and I could breathe again.

A teenage farmhand actually discovered those caverns back in the late 1800s. The landowner saw 💰 and immediately opened it for business! 

In those early days, the tourists weren’t allowed to bring their own light. Instead, they had to borrow a numbered oil lantern from the farmer. This way, he’d know how many people were still down there at the end of the day. If they hadn’t returned, he’d have to go rescue them. Sometimes their lanterns broke, leaving them at the mercy of the farmer, hoping he would find them. Hoping he’d bring light.

I can’t imagine being down there in that thick darkness in unfamiliar territory. Not making out ANY shapes. Not even knowing if my next step was safe. 

I curiously asked if anyone had died down there. He told me no. 

If anyone was lost, the farmer found them. Every time.

My children chattered about it afterward. They’d never known such literal darkness.

I hope they never know such spiritual darkness.

I hope they know when they are lost, 

when their light shatters,

when their eyes cannot see,

when they feel like they’re alone in the chasms of the earth,

There is always HOPE.

“Whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world” (Eth. 12:4)

He WILL find us & bring light to us once more.

"Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.” (6)

Comments

  1. I've been in a cave like that and I agree the darkness is scary. Think of the people in 3 Nephi that were in total darkness for 3 days when Christ died. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Logan actually brought that up when we got out! He asked if that’s how dark it was for them for 3 days. I said I think so, since it says no fires could be made or any light at all...

      Delete

Post a Comment