Tender Mercies


I’m grateful for tender mercies! 

When the Jaredites FINALLY make it to shore, they “bowed themselves down upon the face of the land, and did humble themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them.” (Eth. 6:12) 

Elder Bednar described tender mercies as those “very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Tender mercies have the power to change everything. 

My husband served as a bishop for almost 6 years. I cherish that time! There were ups & downs, but so many more ups! However, that first year was particularly rough. I had my last baby, which meant I had 6 kids age 8 & under (Crazytown😆) plus some other struggles that came with being a bishop’s wife.

At the end of that first year, an invitation came from the newly called stake presidency’s wives for a “Bishops’ Wives Breakfast.” 

Tears rolled down my cheeks! At that moment I knew how desperate I was to talk to ladies who might know what I was going through.

That sweet stake president’s wife! She told us with emotion that while we could talk about the hard things, she’d like us to share the good things from our experience. 

It was such a switch for me! I had come wanting to connect with these women over the hard things! But as I listened to those ladies share the blessings of being a bishop's wife, all of them so genuine, grateful, heartfelt, I felt a flood of light & hope.

When it was my turn, specific & clear things came to my mind about the last year. It was like I had put on “blessings glasses”! I SAW all these beautiful, positive things, and the difficult things melted away. It TOTALLY shifted my perspective. I felt so encouraged & loved. I thought, I can do this! It’s going to be okay!

And it WAS. ❤️ Looking back, the tender mercies were ENDLESS. 

"Be grateful for... tender mercies... We are unaware of hosts of blessings that we receive from day to day. It is extremely important that we have a spirit of gratitude in our hearts.” -Elder Cook

Comments

  1. I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord and for your family's service and sacrifice for all those years! Your family was admired by all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so sweet! Your family has given endless service!! Nate was sure blessed to serve with your husband. We love you guys.

      Delete

Post a Comment