What’s in a Name?


One time after a pretty rough day with the kids, I told my husband that my then 3-year-old had been acting like a CRAZY person! A little while later that 3-year-old came up to me and in her sweet voice said, "Mom, I not a crazy person." Ahh! I had no idea she’d heard me call her that! I felt so bad. I vowed to be more careful how I talked about my kids to others (even if she WAS being crazy-- I could have said “spirited,” maybe “extremely passionate,” ha!) 

There's power in LABELS. There's connotation in NAMES. Two years ago, President Nelson gave the talk "The Correct Name of the Church” & I remember thinking MIC DROP! at the end. I loved being Mormon! I loved being LDS! But I LOVE being a member of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints even more.

He said "Responses to this statement... have been mixed. Many members immediately corrected the name of the Church on their blogs and social media pages. Others wondered why, with all that's going on in the world, it was necessary to emphasize something so ‘inconsequential.’ It is NOT a name change... rebranding... cosmetic... a whim... inconsequential.  Instead, it IS a correction. It IS the command of the Lord.”

In 3 Ne. 27 when the disciples asked what to call the church, He said, “Take upon you the name of Christ, which is my name... Whatsoever ye shall do, ye shall do it in my name; therefore, ye shall call the church in my name... Ye are built upon my gospel; therefore ye shall call whatsoever things ye do call, in my name."

Boom.

In Elder Andersen's talk, "We Talk of Christ,” he says, "If the world is going to speak less of Him, who is going to speak more of Him? We are! Along with other devoted Christians!" Yes! Let it be CLEAR what our focus is! Let our name help unite us with other Christians.

 "Let us genuinely rejoice with [fellow Christians] in our shared faith in Jesus Christ... In the days ahead, those who believe in Jesus Christ will need the friendship and support of one another."

We don’t have a corner on Jesus Christ. There are many others out there who love Him, too! Do not let His name dim in the darkness of apathy & unbelief. Let's speak out. Let’s shine His light.

Comments