Don’t Forget Your Shoes


We were SO excited to take our kids to Disneyland. I read article after article on preparing for that day. I packed the bag with ALL the essentials. We got up early, ensured the kids looked cute for the billions of pictures to be taken, loaded everyone up, and drove the 20 minutes from our hotel. We parked, got the stroller loaded, down the elevator, and out to the shuttles. We were so close! We’d done so well! And then I noticed one of my sons wasn’t wearing shoes. How did I miss that!

I asked WHERE ARE YOUR SHOES??

He looked down, surprised, and said sheepishly, Oh, I just forgot.

Yep. Forgot to put on shoes. To go to DISNEYLAND. Where shoes are KINDA important.

We ended up buying him $40 Mickey Mouse Crocs at Downtown Disney, the CHEAPEST shoes we could find. 😂

In the hustle and bustle of life, I take care of a lot of things. But I’m guilty of something way too often... forgetting to pray.

THERE. I SAID IT. Way too often I sheepishly look down and say, oh yeah, I forgot.

Now before you REALLY think less of me, I have prayer-like moments all throughout the day! I pray while driving, while making dinner, while falling asleep in bed, etc. We try to have daily family prayer! And I love reading scriptures! But as I read about Jesus praying with the Nephites, I thought- I HAVE TO DO BETTER. 

How often do I have REAL heart-to-hearts with my Father in Heaven that last more than a quick minute? Not enough! Why?! It’s too simple? Too obvious?

Just like shoes, prayer is basic, but SO important! Shoes AND prayer protect us! They help us endure the journey, step by step! They keep us from slipping & falling! They support & comfort our soles/souls!

Jesus taught: pray in church (3 Ne. 18:16), pray in His name (18:19), pray in your families (18:21), pray for others (18:23).

He KNEELS to pray with the people. (17:15)

He ALSO goes “a little way off” to pray alone several times. (19:19, 27, 31)

Watch and PRAY ALWAYS, he says! (18:19)

Needless to say, Elder Ballard’s conference talk on prayer was ALL FOR ME.

“Brothers and sisters, I urge you to redouble your commitment to prayer.”❤️

I will not make SINCERE prayer an afterthought!

I gotta remember my shoes.

Comments