Be Merciful


In college I was set up on a date. As he opened the door of his truck for me, I thought, points for being a gentleman!

I slid into my seat and immediately noticed I was sitting on something. And what do I pull out from under me? A GIGANTIC KNIFE. No sheath, just PURE BLADE!

My date gets in the driver seat, and I’m not quite sure how to ask him if he’s TRYING TO KILL ME. I held up the jagged edges of steel glistening in the moonlight and said, uhhh, found this! He casually drawls, “Oh yeah, I just got done skinning the raccoon that’s in the back of my truck.” YEP. He then showed it to me!😂

Apart from not seeming alarmed AT ALL for leaving an open blade on his passenger seat as he went to pick up a PASSENGER, the date did not go well.

Have you ever had someone open the door to a pickup truck of friendship only to be stabbed in the back (or, ya know, bottom😆) with gossip & judgment?

Nobody needs fake kindness to your face, then talking behind your back. Nobody needs pretend friends.

I loved Sister Eubanks talk! She said, “Let’s not judge each other or let our words bite. Let’s keep each other’s names safe and give the gift of mercy.”

On this same topic of gossip & judging, Elder Uchtdorf gave us the memorable 2-word sermon: Stop it! 

And I love Sister Aburto’s counsel: “Stop being the inspectors of the spirituality of others.”

MERCY. Be genuine in your mercy to everyone! Including those who do things differently than you.

Christ “freely associated with sinners, treating them honorably and with respect. He... sought to lift rather than condemn those who struggled. He did denounce those who faulted Him for ministering to people they deemed unworthy. Such self-righteousness offended Him and still does.” -Renlund

Elder Godoy said, WE are a “giant army of angels” here to be “extensions of the hands of a loving Creator... The Lord puts those who need angelic help in our path daily.”

Let’s protect each other. Build & lift each other. Live with integrity in word AND action, in person AND behind backs. I want to be this person! It isn’t always easy. Sis Eubanks said “it often goes against our selfish interests” but “we have to try.”

Put the knife away. ❤️

Comments