Do I Know Him?


There are certain expectations I have from my dishwasher. I put dishes in, push Start, hear humming, swishing, sloshing, draining, and when I open it up again, voila! Clean dishes! Except lately they are NOT coming out clean! Come on, it has ONE JOB!

(First world problems.)

But seriously, if it’s NOT cleaning, WHAT is all the noise? What is going on in there? It ACTS like it’s cleaning! It SOUNDS like it’s cleaning! But apparently it’s all for show. Those dishes don’t lie.

After a period of AMAZING love, unity, & happiness comes the second half of 4th Nephi, and it’s really a downer. How does it start? Division and pride. People forgot Christ.

“There were many churches which professed to know the Christ, and yet they did deny the more parts of his gospel, insomuch that they did receive all manner of wickedness...” (27)

Key word PROFESSED. They CLAIMED to know Him. It sounded good on the outside, but the inside proved otherwise.

“People draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me.” (Isaiah 29:13)

“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not ​​​prophesied​ in thy name? and in thy ​​​name​ have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And​ then will I profess unto them, I never knew you” (Matt. 7:22-23) 

The Joseph Smith translation actually changes that phrase to “You never knew me.”

Do I know Him? 

I know of Him, I admire His teachings, I desire to follow Him. I’ve given talks and lessons about Him. I belong to His church. I covenanted to take upon myself His name. 

BUT DO I KNOW HIM?

It’s a personal question. An imperative question. And it pierces my soul.

Am I all talk? All show? Do my actions, my intentions, my heart, my very being, line up with my words and what I “profess”? 

In Elder Bednar’s talk, “If Ye Had Known Me,” he says we come to know Him when we:

-exercise faith

-trust Him

-study His words

-pray in His name with real intent

-seek the Holy Ghost

-experience the power of His atonement

-receive & honor holy ordinances

-serve Him as we labor in His kingdom

-are filled with His love

As I’ve experienced those things, I have felt Him! And I am working to know Him, inside & out.

Comments