Not My Will, But Thine: Day 5


On the 5th day of Christmas, Christ gave me… Humility. 

I was fuming in my college apartment bedroom the day I realized that Jesus washed the feet of the man who betrayed him. I'd been offended & in my self-righteousness thinking things like, "How DARE they!" & “I can't BELIEVE them!"

And then- as if starring in my own seminary video- my eyes fell upon my roommate's picture of Christ. My mind went to His final night. To Jesus kneeling at the feet of His disciples. Removing their filthy sandals. Gently cleaning the dirt away.

He who was THEIR master, THEIR leader, THEIR teacher, THEIR Savior… yet, He washed THEIR feet. INCLUDING JUDAS.

Whoa.

What was THAT like?

Christ knew the end of His mortal mission was coming.

The ultimate sacrifice was about to take place.

As well as the ultimate betrayal.

And "He knew who should betray him” (John 13:11)

HE KNEW. He knew that despite Judas being his friend & follower for 3 years, witness to His kindness, compassion, lessons, healings, miracles- he would turn his back on it all.

His fellow disciples had no clue. When Jesus revealed that one of THEM would betray Him, they looked around asking, “Lord, is it I?" (Matt. 26:22) Except Judas, who was like, dang...

I mean, with this kind of knowledge the LAST thing I'd be doing is washing the guy's feet!

But Jesus “loved them unto the end.” (John 13:1)

And prayed, “Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." (Luke 22: 42)

Is there any statement more humble than that?

What humility He demonstrated in the Garden!

What humility He demonstrated on the cross!

And what humility He demonstrated washing feet. He didn't NEED to do it. He also didn't NEED to seek out the poor, the sick, the ostracized. He didn't NEED to utter, "Father, forgive them" in his darkest moments. He didn't NEED to give the glory to His Father.

But He did. Because "the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister” (Mark 10:45)

That day in my college bedroom I swallowed my pride. I thought- if Jesus can wash Judas' feet, I can go say sorry. And I did. 

And I meant it.

Because He cleans more than feet.

Comments