Quick & Powerful


It’s been a rough & emotionally exhausting week, & I’ve thought a lot about this scripture: “Behold, I am God; give heed to my word, which is quick & powerful, sharper than a two-edged sword, to the dividing asunder of both joints & marrow” (D&C 12:2) 

Describing the word of God as “quick and powerful” is also in D&C 6, 11, 14, 27, 33, Helaman 3, & Hebrews 4. 

Did you know the word “quick” can also refer to “living” or “made alive” (Index to Triple Comb)? 

I love that.

Because not only are the scriptures themselves ALIVE, POWERFUL, STRONG, as they cut through & “divide asunder all the cunning & the snares & the wiles of the devil” (Hel. 3:29), 

reading them makes ME feel ALIVE, POWERFUL, STRONG, as I cut through the shallow & fluff, lies & deceit, hate & darkness.

The older I get, the more I LOVE the scriptures! With everything I am.

They fill my soul, soothe my pain, awake my heart, settle my mind, remind me WHAT IS REAL, & whisk my heavy thoughts onto a higher plane, into the bright light of eternal truth & greater understanding.

Last night I went through & found all my MIC DROP verses. Ya know, ones where the Spirit BURSTS in, ones that make ya go WHOA, ones that change you & make everything right again. 

I sat there, floored again at all the words. So brilliant & deep & beautiful & complex & simple & full of doctrinal truth & love of God.

QUICK & POWERFUL. 

I GET what Joseph & Oliver said after their visit from John the Baptist: 

“Our minds being now enlightened, we began to have the scriptures laid open to our understandings, & the true meaning & intention of their more mysterious passages revealed unto us in a manner which we never could attain to previously, nor ever before had thought of.” (JSH 1:74)

“Man may deceive his fellow-men, deception may follow deception... but one touch with the finger of His love, yes, one ray of glory from the upper world, or one word from the mouth of the Savior, from the bosom of eternity, strikes it all into insignificance, and blots it forever from the mind.” (Oliver Cowdery)

That’s what scriptures do for me.

They got me through this week. They get me through life. And they’ll get me through what’s to come.

Comments