His Love Enkindled Upon Our Souls


“His love enkindled upon our souls.” 

Such a beautiful phrase from Oliver Cowdery after an amazing spiritual experience.

I also know the feeling.

I felt it during sacrament meeting yesterday, my heart pounding & tears filling my eyes. 

I felt it as my 11-year-old son and I wished each other good luck on the lessons we were each about to teach- his very first lesson to the deacons as their class president.

I felt it as I read a sweet letter left on my bed from my teenage son, just telling me he loves me and that I’m a great mom. 

I felt it as I drove my oldest around while she delivered cupcakes to girls in her YW class & bravely stepped up to doorsteps of those she doesn’t know well. I know the kind of small courage that takes. I told her: never suppress a generous thought.

I felt it as we came home from cupcake delivering and found everyone straightening up the house and setting the table cause the two younger girls thought it would be nice.

I felt it as my 7-year-old told me goodnight, and saying, as he has for over a year, “I love you to the infinitieth power every day at every time.”

I felt it yesterday, all week, and all our marriage with my sweet husband & best friend. As things outside my control rage on, he is my blanketing comfort & sounding board, my sense of reason & rock of faith, my soft place to land & hand lifting me back up.

Was there also fighting and whining yesterday? Yes, yes there was. Is life perfect? No, no it’s not. But I absolutely feel God’s love enkindle upon my soul, again and again. And I am grateful His love surpasseth all.

These words from the apostle Paul are everything: 

“We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 

Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus...

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory” (2 Cor. 4:8-9, 14, 17)

“I will encircle thee in the arms of my love.” (D&C 6:20)

Comments