In Life They Were Not Divided, In Death They Were Not Separated



In 17 years of marriage, I never saw him suffer as much pain as when his big brother died.

Anyone that knew him loved him. He was the embodiment of goodness. He was witty & smart, kind & happy. He was  my husband’s rock, his example, his biggest supporter, his best friend.

What would he do without him? The moment he was diagnosed with cancer, I wondered this.

For 2 years he fought a physical war he would not win. But I watched his spirit grow in strength, courage, & unwavering faith in God! I watched my husband match that faith & hope.

All while the cancer spread. 

But it did not triumph. 

Even in those last few months when he suffered every hour of every day, he never complained. He never asked why. He never stopped smiling & joking. He cared for others more than himself. He loved His Savior. It showed in everything he did.

Where most would falter, he withstood. Where there should have been the darkness of despair, there was beaming light. 

It transformed me. Still, 3 years later, I am changed.

Maybe the healing didn't take place as we'd liked. But there were miracles.

My husband’s grief was raw, dark, & deep. But he turned to God. He found peace in Christ. Even in a world of negativity, & unbelief, he chooses Faith. He saw his brother do it again & again.

After his death, letters to each of his siblings were found on his laptop. To my husband:

“This is where I feel tender hearted... what a blessing it is to be best friends with your own brother! I simply can’t imagine what it would be like if we weren’t so close... I don’t know why every set of brothers in the world aren’t best friends. Do they know what they’re missing out on?”

After the funeral, we opened a gift with many, many names on the card, & lifted out a bronze statue of Hyrum & Joseph. We cried like babies. 

What greater bond of faith, love, & loyalty could there be? 

What better example of brothers?

Of Hyrum, Joseph said, “I love him with that love that is stronger than death”

Before Carthage, Hyrum said, “Joseph, I can’t leave you.”

When I see the statue on my mantle, I know:

Their cause was NOT in vain.

And,

Brothers are forever. 

The reunion will be epic.


 

Comments