A Light Which Cannot Be Hid


The scriptures say that the Holy Ghost “giveth utterance, that you may stand as a witness of the things of which you shall both hear and see” (D&C 14:8)

The Spirit gives us UTTERANCE, or, “the spoken word; the action of saying or expressing something aloud.” (Oxford) He gives us feelings & knowledge so deep & real we want to express it. There is power in this! It’s what testimony meeting is all about.

Our “utterance” may not be loud or eloquent. It may not appear to make a difference or convince anyone. But utter anyway.

“As the world speaks less of Jesus Christ, let us speak more of Him.” (Elder Andersen)

Add your voice to the witnesses of God’s light. 

When Paul defends himself to King Agrippa, he describes who he was & what he did before his vision. It was not pretty! But then came his life-changing experience. Jesus told him, “Rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness... to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light” (Acts 26:16, 18)

Well, Paul rises. He stands. He utters. In front of a king, even! And while others called him “beside himself” & “mad” (24), he reaches King Agrippa, who says, “Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian” (28). Maybe it wasn’t a miraculous conversion- but ALMOST. Maybe King Agrippa went on his way and forgot about Paul. But I don’t think so.

I haven’t seen a vision. But I have had spiritual experiences & the confirming witness of the Holy Ghost. 

And I feel as Joseph Smith, who “felt much like Paul... some said he was dishonest, others said he was mad; & he was ridiculed & reviled. But all this did not destroy the reality of his vision. He had seen a vision, he knew he had, & all the persecution under heaven could not make it otherwise... he had both seen a light & heard a voice speaking unto him, & all the world could not make him think or believe otherwise” (JSH 1:24)

I have also seen light. I can’t deny it. And no matter how much darkness is thrown my way, Jesus Christ is a “light which cannot be hid in darkness.” (D&C 14:9) 

What hope! What truth!

I’ll give utterance to His name & what He has done for me all my life.🤍

Comments