Happiness Is The Destination, But It’s Also The Path


A few years ago, a bright rainbow filled the sky. My son asked me how to find the end so he could check for a pot of gold. I gently explained to him that it wasn’t possible.

He insisted that surely the fastest man in the world could find it! 

I’m like- that's not how it works!

He kept persisting, so I said, "You know what? I'll show you. Let's go find it!"

“Really??”

"REALLY!"

The kids were SO EXCITED! I felt like the coolest mom in the world.

We piled in the van & took off down the street.

We chased that rainbow!

The kids narrated the location of the rainbow as we went. "It's under those trees! Go that way!"

We’d get closer & of course the rainbow would slip farther back.

"It's right above those houses! Go to those houses!" 

But that darn rainbow kept moving!

The kids were floored. “HOW does it DO that?" 

This way! That way!

Finally, I pulled over on one last street. It was only us & the rainbow, nestled in a golden field across from us, just beyond reach. 

It was spectacular.

Magic & wonder was thick. We were surrounded by the glow of the sky, sparkly raindrops, & pure enchantment.

We watched the rainbow until it faded away.

Then we went home.

We didn't find the end of the rainbow, much less the pot of gold.

But in my little boy’s words, it was “the most awesome day ever!" 

And I thought about how in life there are rainbows. And we want them so bad. And we chase after them thinking they will surely bring us our pot of gold.

But when we say, "I will be happy when..." it never seems to work, does it. There is always going to be something. The rainbow will always be just out of our grasp. Life is not perfect. We are not perfect.

We shouldn't forget to look around once in awhile at right NOW.

Sometimes the best parts of life are not found in rainbows.

They’re found in the rain.

In a minivan.

With 6 pieces of my heart in the back.

Eagerly chasing rainbows we will never catch.

And that's okay.

Because the chase was worth it.❤️

“Enduring to the end is exalting & glorious, not grim & gloomy... This is a joyful religion, one of hope, strength, & deliverance...

Happiness is the destination, but it’s also the path.” (Elder Uchtdorf)

Comments