The Author & Finisher of our Faith


A phrase caught my eye this week. “...relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith.” (Mor. 6:4). 

The AUTHOR and the FINISHER of their faith.

It’s like I’d never seen it before. What does it mean?

The scripture reference in Hebrews hit me even more.

“Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 

“Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross...” (Heb. 12:1-2)

What an amazing visual- abandoning my burdens, running (with patience!) the race of life, all the while keeping my eyes on Christ, the author and finisher of my faith.

Then the Greek meaning of “finisher,” found in the footnote, clarified everything:

“One who completes, perfects.”

He completes my faith. He perfects my faith!

I’m always agonizing if I am enough! But He BEGAN this faith in me- He started it! I am NOT alone in this, & if I let Him, He will sustain it, and He will FINISH it! It doesn’t have to be perfect- HE will perfect it.

“He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” (Phil. 1:6)

Like the “certain woman” with the issue of blood, I just need to keep my sights on Him as I run, walk, even crawl through the crowds & chaos, until I reach out & grasp the hem of His garment. FAITH is what kept her going, and it is FAITH that will lead ME to His feet, where He will tell me, “Daughter, thy ​​​faith​ hath made thee whole” (Mark 5:34)

And hopefully I can say,

“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith” (2 Tim. 4:7)

Because of Him. He is the author of our lives. This is the rough draft. If we let Him, He will finish it. 

In fact, He HAS finished it.

“The atoning sacrifice of the Savior is what makes perfection or sanctification possible... We lack the power to create the perfection only God can complete. Our ALL by itself is still only ALMOST enough— until it is finished by the ALL of Him who is the ‘finisher of our faith.’ At that point, our imperfect but consecrated ALMOST is enough.” (Bruce C. Hafen)

Comments

  1. "This is the rough draft. If we let Him, He will finish it."
    I love that!
    We must trust that He can and will put the necessary finishing touches on us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment