Deny Not the Gifts of the Spirit


Confession: The other day I threw my hands up in the air and exclaimed, “Man, I HATE giving!”

Not my proudest moment. 😬 What I meant was, I’m not GOOD at giving. Ok, that doesn’t sound better.

I stress out a LOT over gifts. Some people are so thoughtful with gifts and know exactly what to give, but when I try, my mind goes blank. Then I procrastinate until I absolutely HAVE to do SOMETHING, and end up giving lame-o gifts & feel bad.

“God loveth a cheerful giver” (2 Cor. 9:7)

Whoops.

Why is giving so hard sometimes?

When my 8-year-old was invited to a birthday party last week, I showed her the Trolls LEGO set I bought for her friend. Her face fell! She BEGGED me not to wrap it. She did NOT want to give that gift! Puzzled, I asked why not! She said it looked TOO babyish, then cried while telling me one time at a birthday party the receiver of her gift announced she didn’t like it in front of everyone. My daughter, embarrassed & ashamed, feared it would happen again.

She feared rejection. 

Maybe that’s my problem, too. 

I’ve also cried after giving, thinking surely it wasn’t good enough. 

But I remind myself of the widow’s mite. 

She did not let feelings of inadequacy stop her from giving! She gave what she had, and it was enough. 

“Remember that every good gift cometh of Christ.” (Mor. 10:18)

Maybe not the Trolls LEGO set... πŸ˜‰

But when we use the gifts HE has given us to bless others in ANY way, they are enough! They come from Christ. 

Do I graciously receive my spiritual gifts?

Do I know what they are?

Do I trust in them?

Do I rejoice in them?

Do I use them?

“For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift.” (D&C 88:33)

Do I receive HIM, the Giver of EVERYTHING good? One who KNOWS bitter rejection, whose own received Him not? (John 1:11) One who is STILL rejected, but who STILL gives anyway?!

He still gives! 

We still must give.

Moroni exhorts us, “Deny not the power of God”! “Deny not the gifts of the Spirit”! (10:7-8)

The power is in us, from Him- the ultimate Gift. And it is enough.

Comments

  1. I can't tell you how many times I've apologized WHILE giving someone a gift. I needed to read this today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment