Perhaps They May Be Of Worth


My husband and I joke that the end of The Book of Mormon is like the ending in the last “Lord of the Rings” movie. Every time you THINK it’s over, it just keeps going. 😆 Moroni SEEMS like he’s wrapping things up a couple times, like, farewell all! Then he just keeps writing!

“I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth... in some future day” (Mor. 1:4)

I LOVE that he’s prompted to write more, ESPECIALLY because he’s already lamented to us over his perceived weakness in writing! I mean, he TRULY must have been so humbly hopeful that “perhaps” his “weak” writings would be of worth someday.

And so, a letter to Moroni:

Dear Moroni, 

YES. Your writings are of worth! GREAT WORTH. You write some of my favorite verses in the whole book! I am NOT just saying that.

Not long ago, my family visited the Hill Cumorah. We were the only ones there. The kids ran up & down the hill while I spontaneously sat & read your book. YOUR writings. And I had a totally unexpected & powerful spiritual experience. I felt your words like never before. I FELT YOU THERE. I thought of the awful battle on that hill, I thought of you wandering alone, constantly hiding from those who, “because of their hatred,” “put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.” (1:2) I read your beautiful words.

I’ve been trying to write, too. And I feel ya, it’s SO hard sometimes! Trying to make sense, find the right words, not compare myself. But I’m trying! Trying to follow this prompting to articulate my faith, add my voice for good, rejoice in His name, show exactly where I stand, & leave a legacy of my conviction for my children. Shyly hoping that my writing, too, might help the Spirit reach someone. That it might be of worth to someone, someday. Even if that someone is just me, “so that [my] words may, when needed, bring to [my] remembrance how good the Lord has been to [me].” (“Lest Thou Forget” Rasband)

Moroni- thank you for inspiring millions of us.

Thank you for not denying the Christ.

Thank you for standing your ground. 

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Thank you for preserving the record.

Thank you for writing.

 Your words are of great worth to me.

-Erika

Comments

  1. Beautiful letter! And I love that you had that experience on the Hill Cumorah. How special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was special! Now if the rest of the church sites will open... someday... we gotta take advantage out here!

      Delete

Post a Comment