12 Days of Christ Day 8:

 


12 Days of Christ: Day 8

“On earth peace, good will toward men.” (Luke 2:14)

On Christmas Eve we read the nativity story to the kids. They were comfy in their new PJs & full of excitement & Christmas sweets. Just before they headed off to bed, I had the idea to sing a song together: Silent Night.

I sat at the piano & the family gathered round. As their voices rang out I thought- ok! This could be a new tradition! It was so special.

Until.

One kid accidentally did something to offend another kid right in the middle of the song. OF COURSE. Glares were exchanged, snide remarks made, & by the time the song was over they were both steaming mad at each other. Which made ME mad, & I let them know it! Way to ruin a special moment, children! Sigh.

Well, my good husband, more patient & mature than me, talked gently to those two kiddos. Pride disappeared, apologies were made, & hugs were had. Then he suggested they sing Silent Night again- just the two of them. This time arms around each other.

They felt silly at first. But they sweetly sang.

I joined them.

They told each other they loved each other & went to bed.

All is calm. All is bright.

Christ said:

“A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you” (John 13:34)

Not easy. That’s for sure.

Often I feel like Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s hymn:

“And in despair I bowed my head:

‘There is no peace on earth,’ I said,

‘For hate is strong & mocks the song

Of peace on earth, good will to men.’

So much anger in the world!

“Then pealed the bells more loud & deep:

‘God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;

The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,

With peace on earth, good will to men.’

Yes!

“Till, ringing, singing, on its way,

The world revolved from night to day,

A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,

Of peace on earth, good will to men!”

The sun rises again. Peace & good will are possible! Christ showed us how. It can start with us.

“If we have not fully done so yet, let us turn more toward forgiveness, kindness, & love. Let us renounce the war that so often rages in the heart of the natural man & proclaim Christ’s caring, love, & peace.”

(Robert D. Hales)

Comments