12 Days of Christ Day 1: Fear Not

12 Days of Christ: Day 1

“Fear not.” The message of comfort littered throughout the scriptures. 

Throughout the Christmas story.

To Mary. To Joseph. To the shepherds.

Fear Not.

Awhile ago my child was dangling off a metaphorical cliff. 

It was terrifying.

How did I let this happen? How could I save my child?

It was uncharted territory. I had no idea where to turn.

I spoke many desperate prayers.

I found myself led to someone who could help. Really & truly help. The circumstances leading me to that point, to this specific person, was more than coincidental. 

A literal God-send.

More than once I have looked at them & thought to myself: “You are an answer to our prayers.”

Months later & my child is finally on solid ground.

We are working daily to step farther & farther away from the edge of that cliff. It is still too close for comfort. But that cold & sickening fear is being replaced with faith. Hope. Healing.

I have seen miracles.

My child, who was slowly disappearing before my eyes, is now returning. My child, who was trapped & bound by a cruel illness, told me, “I feel so free.” My child, whose smile was fading into constant anguish, is shining again.

My heart is filled with relief, with gratitude, with joy.

Mary’s words are ever true to me:

“My soul doth magnify the Lord, & my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour” (Luke 1:47)

Life is hard.

But there is strength waiting for us in the arms of our Savior, whose nail-printed hands pull us from our cliffs onto solid ground.

I kneel at His feet.

“Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.” (Luke 2:10)

“Because of the Savior born two thousand years ago in Bethlehem, there is hope—& so much more. There is redemption, release, victory, & triumph.” (Elder L. Whitney Clayton)

Good tidings indeed.

Comments