Thus Shall My Church Be Called


When we moved here, one big adjustment was not being surrounded by those of our faith. (Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Utah anymore! ๐Ÿ˜‰) 

My two youngest kids play with a bunch of neighbor kids almost every day. They’re all great kids!

One day a neighbor girl saw our picture of Jesus hanging in the entry way. She asked, “Does your family love Jesus?” My daughter responded we did! Her friend said, “My family does, too!”

Then last week my daughter asked me, “Mom, are we Christians?”

Her friend had asked, & she didn’t know what to say! And my 7-year-old son apparently had answered confidently, “No, we’re not.”

Ok, this discussion was definitely needed! #momfail ๐Ÿคฆ‍♀️

I explained we believe in Christ as our Savior! So yes, we are Christian! I said there are many religions that are Christian, & we are one of them. I said some people call us Mormons, but the actual name of our religion is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

After my mini sermon, my daughter said OHHH, & went on her way. But I hope it was clear: we are Christians! (I also made sure the rest of my kids knew!)

When Pres. Nelson talked about the name of the church 3 years ago, I felt the Spirit SO strongly! To me, it was like, MIC. DROP. Yes! People should not be confused about who is at the center of our faith!

The Lord Himself named His church back in 1838:

“For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” 

He continued:

“I say unto you all: Arise & shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations” (D&C 115:4-5)

THAT’S what it’s about. Shining forth in His name, the name we have covenanted to take upon ourselves! 

As Neil L. Andersen said this last conference, “The influence of the restored Church of Jesus Christ will not only be upon those who are members of the Church… we will be a shining light on the hill as the somber shades of disbelief in Jesus Christ darken the world… Christians who are not among our membership will welcome our role & our sure witness of Christ. …In these coming days, we will be called by the name of Jesus Christ.”

I will be called in His name!

Yes, kids, we are Christian. ❤️

Comments

  1. What a great teaching moment for you!
    Thanks for reminding us of those powerful words from Elder Anderson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment