Be Thou Humble; And The Lord Shall Lead Thee By The Hand


My 9-year-old recently discovered a piano duet book. Every day she asks me to try a new song with her. And every time it’s KIND of a test of patience for me!

You see, she is just a beginner at the piano. And it takes time as she stumbles her way through her simple, one-noted melody. My fingers are at the ready with my more advanced chords, waiting for her notes to be played alongside mine, but it can be a slooow process.

She wants to be right the FIRST time. She hates messing up. She doesn’t like to be corrected!

Eventually she asks for my help & takes the time to get it right. THEN- we sound awesome together.

We make a pretty great team.

The Lord gives Thomas B. Marsh some beautiful counsel in D&C 112, including this well-known verse:

“Be thou ​​​humble​; & the Lord thy God shall ​​​lead​ thee by the hand, & give thee answer to thy prayers.” (10)

Thomas had a strong testimony, served extensively in the Church, & did a lot of good.

Then, long story short, he left.

He was re-baptized nearly 20 years later. 

He explained his apostasy: “I became jealous of the Prophet… & overlooked everything that was right, & spent all my time in looking for the evil; & then, when the Devil began to lead me, it was easy for the carnal mind to rise up, which is anger, jealousy, & wrath. I could feel it within me… & the Spirit of the Lord being gone, as the Scriptures say, I was blinded, … I got mad, & I wanted everybody else to be mad.”

What was that he said? The DEVIL began to lead him!

What was it the LORD had told him all those years ago? Be humble, & I will lead you by the hand!

Thomas switched hands! For 20 years! What great humility to come back & say, I was wrong!

I bet God was like, yay!! You’re back! Here’s my hand again!❤️

BE THOU HUMBLE. 

It can be so hard! But as I thought of my daughter at the piano, stubbornly trying to do it on her own, I thought of my pride. Trying to do it all myself. But maybe needing help…

Guess what. The teacher is THERE ON THE BENCH. At the ready. Anxious to add full, enriching chords to my simple melody.

His hands & mine.

A spiritual duet.

We make a pretty great team.

If I ask.

Luckily He has way more patience than me. ๐Ÿ™

Comments

Post a Comment