Cleave Unto All Good


Four years ago my mom signed me up for a 50-mile bike ride. She then dropped off her old road bike, helmet, gloves, shoes, jersey, & 2 pairs of “specially padded” spandex shorts cause she had upgraded all her stuff & figured, as a long-time biker, it was time to recruit me into biking, too. OKAY THEN, MOM! Thanks! 😁🚴‍♀️

I mean, I learned to ride a bike when I was 5- how hard could road biking be?

Turns out there was a bit of a learning curve.

Not only did I have to learn how to shift (it was a bit different than my old 10-speed!), I had to learn how to “clip in.”

Yeah, did you know that REAL bikers have special shoes that clip onto their pedals, essentially locking their feet right to their bike? Me either!

The idea of being locked in to my bike terrified me! But I wanted to be cool like my biker mom & friends!

So I practiced while balancing in the hallway. Then I took it outside.

And TOTALLY crashed & burned! Twice! (Pro tip: Lean to the correct side when you unclip a foot.)

Road-rashed & bruised, I was like, does clipping in REALLY make a difference? Maybe I don’t wanna!

But my mom & friend kept telling me: you can do it! It’s worth it! It will make you faster! More efficient! Give you more power! It’s science!

So I kept trying, & before I knew it, I was a clipping master! I was ONE with my bike!

Ah, biking is the best. 

The phrase “forsake all evil & cleave unto all good” (D&C 98:11) keeps coming to my mind. That word cleave- meaning “stick fast to,” attach to,” “be loyal to,” is everything! CLEAVE TO ALL GOOD. Okay! All good comes from God! There’s waaay too much evil, gimme all the good!

I think of CLEAVING to God in our covenants! The thought of “locking” into a covenant with God can be scary! But IT IS WORTH IT. “Clipping in” with God gives us POWER. I have felt it! In the push & pull, in the uphills & downhills of my life!

WE work for it, but HE is the vehicle that gets us there. 

We are literally connected with Him.

And we get to re-clip in each Sunday.❤️

“Keeping our covenants… allows Him to pour His divine power into us.” (Wendy Watson Nelson)

“Cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made.” (25:13)

Cleave to Good. Cleave to God.

Comments

Post a Comment