Bright Up Your Children In Light And Truth


I was out with friends when a song came on the restaurant speakers.

And I was swept away.

To 2008. Sitting in front of my computer blogging about my then 2-year-old & 1-year-old. 

Remember when blogs were THE thing? I jumped on that bandwagon! And when it was the “thing” to have blog “playlists,” I jumped on that, too.

So with that song, I was TRANSPORTED. To that young mom of 2 typing hilarious & frustrating things about motherhood as she knew it.

Oh, the aching nostalgia! Wasn’t I just THERE? How are those 2 babies teenagers?! 

HOW do I have only 3 years left with all 6 kids at home under my roof? 3 years left before they start going off into the world. 😭

Am I teaching enough? 

Loving enough?

Deliberate & present enough?

In D&C 93 the Lord says, “I have commanded you to bring up your children in light & truth” (40)

THEN he rebukes Joseph Smith, Frederick Williams, Sidney Rigdon, & Newel Whitney. He tells them to repent, forsake some things, & set their houses in order. (I kinda like the parts in the D&C that rebuke Joseph- like, if he were making this up, why would he include all the parts that call him out? Love his humanity & humility.)

Family is first! God seems to remind these leaders of the church.

Teach your children light & truth. 

Our babies come down wrapped in light & truth…

“Every spirit of man was innocent in the beginning” (38)

But “that wicked one cometh & taketh away light & truth… from the children of men” (39)

Dang Satan! Always trying to steal what’s most precious. 

But when we see the Light, it’s easier to reject darkness.

Like when Moses told off Satan after he’d seen God:

“Who art thou? For behold, I am a son of God… & where is thy glory, that I should worship thee?” (Moses 1:13)

Where is THY glory?

He had seen the light. And Satan was exposed.

Our children need to experience all the light they can! Teach them where to find it!

“He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth & light” (D&C 93:28)

Boom.

Being a parent is a huge honor & responsibility. Luckily we are not alone!

“Teach ye diligently & my grace shall attend you” (88:78)

His grace shall attend. 

Teach. Love. Right now. 

They’re His children, too.

Comments