Walk With Me


In ep. 160 of the “All In” podcast, Britain Covey talks about his grandpa, a pilot in World War II, who always wore his temple garments, & “all the people that he used to fly with… used to make fun of him” for his “angel suit.” But then, “whenever it was time to go up in the air & actually fly, every single person wanted to fly with my grandpa because of his angel suit & because of how dedicated he was to that. And so it was all fun & games until it really mattered.”

When my opa’s family lived in war-torn Germany, his sister said their neighbors “looked at us strangely & laughed at us on our way to Church. But then, when those nights of bombing came, they all wanted to be close to [our] family because they felt safer there.”

My great uncle said, “They didn’t like us, & yet they liked us… When we had air raids day & night… all those neighbors… wanted to be with us to sit in the bunker because they knew we were… religious & prayed so they thought they would be protected if they would be close to us."

All fun & games until it mattered.

When Enoch feels super inadequate about his calling, God reassures him, “My Spirit is upon you… thou shalt abide in me, & I in you; therefore walk with me.” (Moses 6:34)

I’M WITH YOU. WALK WITH ME.

Enoch takes it to heart because he does not timidly ask the people to MAYBE repent… he stands “upon the hills & the high places, & cried with a loud voice… & all men were offended because of him.” (37)

He was not super popular.

They called him “a wild man” (38)

But “no man laid hands on him; …for he walked with God.” (39)

And a miracle happened. 

The people softened. They chose to walk with God, too. They became ZION.

So when others do not quite understand, when they make light & mock… walk on. 

They just might edge a little closer to you.

They just might ask you to stay with them.

They just might feel something.

They just might.


“Abide with me; ’tis eventide.

Thy walk today with me

Has made my heart within me burn,

As I communed with thee.

Thy earnest words have filled my soul

And kept me near thy side.


O Savior, stay this night with me;

Behold, ’tis eventide.

O Savior, stay this night with me;

Behold, ’tis eventide.”

Comments