A Divine Trust In God


My 7-year-old needed extensive dental work done. When we met with the anesthesiologist, she bluntly went over possible side effects in front of my son.

Including the risk of death. 

Ahh! I hoped that my little boy- who already was SO nervous- hadn’t heard her.

However, after she left, my son looked at me & my husband, fear in his eyes.

“What did she say? A risk of… what?”

He’d heard it.

How could I repeat it? Yeah son, your parents whom you love & trust the MOST are turning you over to these strangers to do something to you that might cause you to die?!

THANKS a LOT, lady.

We hugged him. Calmed him. Told him this was going to help him. For the greater good! And that sweet boy looked at us bravely with complete trust. Trust that we knew what was best. Trust that this was what he needed to do. Trust that it would be ok. He knew we loved him. And that was enough.

It brought me to tears.

Don’t worry- he came out unscathed 😅

I don’t pretend to have an understanding of the church’s history of plural marriage. Such a difficult, confusing topic!

Despite that, my testimony is safe. But I’ve thought a lot about TRUST. In God. In the prophet. At that time. And now.

Emma wrote a letter to her son in 1869 that said, “I have seen many, yes very many, trying scenes in my life which I could not see…where any good could come of them... But yet I feel a divine trust in God, that all things shall work for good.”

If Emma, who endured SO much- including agonizing emotional turmoil over plural marriage- could still trust God… oh man, I would hope I could, too.

So while I don’t at this time understand plural marriage or sacrifice to that extent, I know 2 things:

1) God knows our sacrifices. They are NEVER in vain.

“I have seen your sacrifices in obedience to that which I have told you” (D&C 132:50)

The rewards we are promised for obedience are VAST.

2) The restoration is ongoing.

“I will reveal more unto you, hereafter; therefore, let this suffice for the present. Behold, I am Alpha & Omega” (66)

THERE IS MORE TO COME to complete the picture.

Meanwhile we must trust Him, knowing He is our Father who loves us & wants the best for us.

Dental work & all.😉❤️

Comments