Truth Is Light


Yesterday as I combed my 11-year-old’s hair, she directed me, “Put it in a ponytail. But NOT a low ponytail. Last time it was in a low ponytail I looked like I was about to sign the Declaration of Independence!” 😂

It reminded me of her little sister’s comment years ago after I’d combed HER hair in a slicked back ponytail- she told me accusingly in her 4-year-old voice, “Mom! You made me look like an evil queen!”

In both cases I thought they looked adorable! Yet, as soon as each of them brought up what THEY saw, I kinda saw it too!😆

Perspective.

Lately I’m trying to find the balance between staying loyal to the things I know to be true & having empathy for others’ experiences different from my own.

Where is the line? Can I be sympathetic to others- i.e. those who have different views of the church- & still be loyal to the things I hold sacred?

I am trying.

I can & should hold space for others to follow their path- but I must not sacrifice my own. I can & should reach out in love & understanding, but I must not let go of the iron rod, or compromise MY place of happiness & peace.

These verses hit me last week:

“I now give unto you a commandment to beware concerning yourselves, to give diligent heed to the words of eternal life.” (D&C 84:43)

Beware concerning myself! Am I giving DILIGENT HEED to God’s words? Or giving too much weight to other, louder voices in an effort to be “more understanding”? I must be careful. 

“For the word of the Lord is truth, & whatsoever is truth is light, & whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ. And the Spirit giveth light to every man… that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.” (45-46)

1000% yes! I have felt this over & over. Truth is light! Sometimes gradual, sometimes flashing! It’s invigorating & inspiring & transcendent! There is NOTHING like the soul-to-soul language of the Spirit. It leaves no room for error, denial, confusion. 

Studying God’s word vs man’s?

NO comparison. 

HEAR HIM.

Love others, yes!

Respect their perspectives, yes!

But choose to stay true to yours. 

No matter what the “other side” thinks. 

Like I chose to see cute daughters, NOT Thomas Jefferson or evil queen. 😉

Comments