In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him


 Sooo… How’s your memory?

One of my kids informed me tonight that they had to interview someone who has “memories & experiences” from 9/11. Due tomorrow. #ofcourse

I began telling her the story I’d been telling for years. “Well, I had JUST started college. I woke up alone in my apartment cause I had a later class & all my roommates were gone. The TV had been left on a news station. As I ate cereal I tried to change the station, but they were all showing the same thing…”

Then I said: “Actually, let me go get my journal!”

And as I read what I wrote in my journal on 9/11, I was shocked to find my memory DID NOT MATCH what I had written!

I did NOT wake up alone in my apartment.

Wait, what?!

My roommate was there. Like, the good friend I shared MY room with! The TV wasn’t left on. SHE was watching it! She & I watched the news together. Wondered what the heck was going on together. Hearts dropping together. 💔

Um. HOW did I forget she was with me?? THE WHOLE TIME?

I had written her out of the story. For years!

My handwriting does not lie. I have what ACTUALLY happened. In my OWN WORDS.

SHE WAS THERE.

I WAS NOT ALONE.

I thought- well, that’s kinda alarming.

How many times do I rewrite my story in my head?

WHAT have I forgotten?

WHO have I forgotten?

“Thus we see how ​​​quick​ the children of men do ​​​forget​ the Lord their God” (Alma 46:8)

The scriptures & prophets tell us over & over to REMEMBER. To write things down, preserve records, bear witness… It’s in our weekly sacrament covenants- “always remember Him.”

Because God knows us all too well. That eventually we begin to write Him out of the story.

Just look around.

WRITE YOUR TRUTHS. Your spiritual experiences. His hand in your life! Look for Him. ACKNOWLEDGE HIM. So that later, when your brain plays tricks, when the world that is actively trying to erase God (good luck with that, world- He is everywhere!) wants you to rationalize, doubt, twist, brush off what you once knew & LIVED, you can remember what is REAL:

HE WAS THERE.

We tell our 9/11 stories to our kids so they aren’t forgotten.

Tell His stories, too.

“In all thy ways acknowledge him, & he shall direct thy paths.” (Prov. 3:5)

Comments