Reaches My Reaching


My scripture study has been less than stellar lately & I don’t have any recent deep personal insights, to be honest. The month of May is crazy. Life is a roller coaster.

So many good desires. Failing at most. Can’t seem to get it together.

Last week halfway through our stake conference meeting, I realized I was not getting much out of it. I was drowsy. Disengaged. Disappointed.

I prayed right then. “Please help me get something out of this. I know I should have been more prepared. Maybe it’s not too late?”

I didn’t expect much.

But to my surprise, there it was. Not a moment later. I felt it. WHAT CHANGED?

Not the speaker. Not the subject. Not the setting.

It was actually there all along.

I just opened the way to receive it.

And when we sang the hymn: “Where Can I Turn For Peace?” the 3rd verse hit me:

“He answers privately,

Reaches my reaching

In my Gethsemane, Savior & Friend.

Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.

Constant he is & kind

Love without end.”

REACHES MY REACHING.

I’d NEVER noticed that phrase before.

My eyes filled with tears as I realized- YES. Between the peace & chaos, the good intentions & failures, the to-do lists & distractions, the ups & downs… when I TRULY make an effort, ANY effort, to REACH for Heaven, for Holiness, for Him, HE REACHES BACK. He reaches my reaching. He meets me where I am, no matter how undeserving I feel.

All week long I thought of that phrase & all week long I noticed each time I stretched the slightest bit, the Spirit was ready & willing to respond. The smallest things set off spiritual moments. REAL & TRUE & POWERFUL & PERSONAL spiritual moments.

My week was less than perfect. I didn’t spend hours on my knees or in my scriptures. I wasn’t particularly charitable. I yelled at my kids.

We don’t have to be perfect. But we don’t have to be passive either.

When I chose to act, He was at the ready.❤️

Reached my reaching.

Pres. Nelson told us:

“Does God really want to speak to you? Yes!”

“He will lead & guide you in your personal life if you will make time for Him in your life—each & every day.”

“Seek & expect miracles.”

And God tells us: “Draw near unto me & I will draw near unto you” (D&C 88:63)

Comments